Midleton FC Cork
Midleton Park Hotel

Junior's 2011/12 Division 1A
Olly Lynch 087-7518196


Cobh Wanderers
Ringmahon Rangers B
Avondale Utd
St. Mary's
Fermoy A


11th May League Final Away Fermoy Lost 0-1 -
7th May League Away Ringmahon Rangers Won 1-6

M Deasy 3, A Howick 2,
D Connaughton

4th May League Away Passage Drew 2-2 Damien Daly, Derek Deehan
28th Apr League Home Fermoy A Won 5-2 Mick Ryan 2, Keelin Kennedy,
Cormac Ahern, Colman Coady
24th Apr League Home Avondale Utd Won 2-0 Johnny Barrett, Damien Daly
22nd Apr League Away St. Mary's Won 1-5 J Mallon, M Deasy, M Ryan,
T O' Leary, J Barrett
17th Apl League Away Cobh Wanderers Lost 1-0 -
14th Apr League Home Bandon Won 3-0 Thomas O'Leary,
Micky Ryan, Oisin Lynch
6th Apr Hayes Trophy Home Cobh Wanderers Won 1-0 Stephen O’ Brien
3rd Apr League Away Passage Drew 2-2 Johnny Barrett, Damien Daly
31st Mar League Away Ringmahon Rangers Won 3-2 Duncan McCarthy,
Thomas O'Leary, Micky Ryan
24th Mar League Home Avondale Utd Won 3-0 Micky Ryan 2, Thomas O'Leary
20th Mar League Cup Away Passage Lost 3-1 Johnny Barrett
15th Mar League Home St. Mary's Won 3-0 Walkover
9th Mar League Home Fermoy Won 6-0 M Deasy 2, C Coady J Hegarty, T Houlihan, OG
4th Mar League Away Cobh Wanderers Won 0-6 Micky Deasy 2, Micky Ryan, Damien Daly, 2 OGs
24th Feb League Cup Home Carrigaline Won 3-0 Michael Deasy, Jake Hegarty 2
18th Feb Munster Jr Cup Away Fermoy Lost 4-2 Micky Ryan, Damien Daly
12th Feb FAI Cup Home Ballymun United Lost 1-1 after pens Johnny Barrett
4th Feb Munster Jr Cup Home Pike Rovers B Won 3-2 D McCarthy, M Deasy, D Daly
27th Jan League Home Passage Won 4-0 Johnny Barrett 3, Diamen Daly
22nd Jan Munster Jr Cup Home Bantry Bay Rovers
Won 3-2
Michael Deasy 2, Derek Deehan
15th Jan FAI Cup Home New Oak Boys
Won 2-1
Johnny Barrett 2
7th Jan FAI Cup Home Crettyard United
Drew 1-1
Won 5-4 pens
John Malon
17th Dec Munster Jr Cup Away Ringmahon Rangers Won 0-3 Michael Deasy, Micky Ryan, Johnny Barrett
3rd Dec FAI Cup Away Tramore Athletic Won 2-4 Michael Deasy 3, Johnny Barrett
12th Nov League Away
Lost 3-2
Stephen O'Brien 2
4th Nov FAI Cup Home
Won 2-1
D Mc Carthy, M Deasy
30th Oct League Away
Won 0-6
C Coady, J Barrett 2,
S O'Brien,
D McCarthy, D Williams.
22nd Oct Junior Cup Home
Won 9-0
M Deasy 3, M Ryan,
S O’ Brien, Digsy, O Lynch,
C Coady, J Barrett.
15th Oct FAI Cup Away Ballincollig Won 0-5 OG, Cormac Ahern,
Micky Deasy, Johnny Barrett 2
7th Oct League Home Cobh Wanderers Won 3-0 Jason Murphy Thomas O’ Leary, Stephen O’ Brien
30th Sept League Home Bandon Won 3-0 Johnny Barrett 2, Colman Coady 
23rd Sept League Home Ringmahon Rangers Won 3-1 Johnny Barrett, Michael Deasy
Jason Murphy.
18th Sept League Away Avondale Utd Won 1-2 Michael Deasy, Cormac Ahern
11th Sept League Away St Mary's Won 0-3 Micky Deasy 3
  League Cup Away Mayfield Lost 2-1 Johnny Barrett
  League Cup Home CIT Won 2-0 Micky Deasy, Cormac Ahern
Goal Scorers
Micky Deasy
Johnny Barrett
Micky Ryan
Diamen Daly
Stephen O’ Brien
Thomas O’ Leary
Colman Coady
Duncan McCarthy
Cormac Ahern
Jake Hegarty
Jason Murphy
Oisin Lynch
Derek Deehan
Andy Howick
Dave Williams
T Houlihan
John Mallon
Keelin Kennedy
Dave Connaughton



Junior's 2011/12 Match Reports

Junior's 2011/12 Division 1A

1st Div League Final v Fermoy in Mayfield Park on Friday 11th May 2012
Midleton 0 Fermoy 1

Midleton failed to beat Fermoy in the final after a very good first half in which Midleton had a number of chances. The windy conditions spoiled the match at times. Fermoy scored early in the second half from a error in defence and while Midleton pushed forward they could not break down Fermoy defence.

Congratulations to our Junior team who secured Promotion to Premier football next season. Thanks to Ian, Olly, Wayne & Kevin and all the lads. We had some fantastic performances over the season and we will look forward again to next season. Special thank you to all our supporters


League away to St Mary's on Sunday 22nd April 2012
St Mary's 1 Midleton 5

Promotion secured with an emphatic victory away from home, a real professional performance from the magpies!! Started brilliantly and had at four goal lead at the interval...and Johnny Barrett rapped up the affairs on the 75th min to make it 5-1!! The feel good factor is back with the magpies!!


League at home to Bandon on Saturday 14th April
Midleton 3 Bandon 0

Another huge game for Midleton on there quest for promotion, a top of the table clash today with Bandon. This turned out to be a game Midleton never looked like loosing, with just one chance falling to Bandon in the first half. Midleton dominated from start to finish but only opened the scoring on the hour and in truth a lucky cross come shot evaded the Bandon keeper to send the magpies one up. Oisin Lynch doubled matters 5 minutes later with a super 30 yard drive low to the Bandon net....joy for the home support! Micky Ryan rapped it all up with 10 to go with a stalking back post header!!
6 games remaining now Cobh wanderers next up for magpies!


League at home to Fermoy on Friday 9th March
Midleton 6 Fermoy 0

Midleton again continued in league thus week with the visit of Fermoy to Midleton, on a perfect night for football, immaculate surface,and not a puff in the air, it made for a interesting night.
As the game began it turned out to be the opposite for the first 45min, with both sides unable to create any real passing moves to make it really hard in the supporters eye. With alot if the ball in the air and scrappy play it started to play into the away sides hands and they produced the first opening of d game, only for Stuart Costigan to deal with calmly, Midleton the form team in the league started to have flashes in the first 45 of what they are really about but still found it hard to create a opening chance....referee blew the whistle on what must be admitted a pretty dire 45min...can only get better said a supporter.

Second half began in a way which this exciting magpies outfitt are known for this tear producing high tempo and aggressive play in the game. The magpies started to create chance after chance now, with Thomas Houlihan opening the scoring on 55min with a cracking drive from 15yrds. This seemed to kick the magpies really into action and Midleton started to become extremely clinical with Michael Deasy grabbing a quick brace of goals on 60th, 65th min. Midleton continued to keep the foot on the gas and kept the pressure on yet another tiring team to wilt under the magpies intensity. Both substitutes Michael Ryan and Jake Hegarty slammed home a goal a piece with two great volleys ,but it was the best that was kept till last with Colman Coady producing a sublime half volley from 30yrds to loop over the Fermoy keeper to rap up the procceedings with a comfortable 6-0 in the end. Next up for midleton is St.Marys next week in Knockgriffin.


League away to Cobh Wanderers on Sunday 4th March
Cobh Wanderers FC 0 - Midleton FC 6

Midleton return to league action with a solid performance against local rivals Cobh Wanderers.
On Sunday last, Midleton Juniors continued to gather points with a comprehensive victory over fellow promotion challengers Cobh Wanderers in Cobh. On a ragged pitch, the home side started strongly and Stuart Costigan, deputising for the injured Gavin Hegarty, was forced into making a number of vital stops early on. However, it wasn't long before Midleton started to dominate proceedings. Cobh struggled with Midleton's intensity and willingness to challenge for every breaking ball. In and around the centre, it was the excellent passing of Colman Cody that forced Midleton into the driving seat. An overwhelming amount of pressure on the Cobh defence eventually resulted in mistakes at the back. Cobh conceded three goals in quick succession with two own goals and Micky Ryan grabbing a late header.

In the second half, Midleton were again under early pressure with Cobh's three man midfield beginning to take control. Fortunately for Midleton, most of the efforts on goal were from long range and any potential threats were dealt with effectively by the centre half combination of John Mallon and Martin Hickey. As a result, they remained three goals up going into the last twenty minutes.

It was at this point that Midleton's superior fitness began to become apparent. Johnny Barrett regularly broke the last line of defence with some fantastic runs. Unfortunately, his search for the perfect chip left him goalless. After the game, Barrett claimed that like Thomas O'Leary, he wasn't necessarily eager to grab the glory through goal scoring and was just as happy to add to his tally of assists for this season (Up at around 15 apparently). Indeed, Barrett did manage to do that late on, supporting Micky Deasy in grabbing his 20th and 21st goals of the season. Damien Daly made a late appearance as a substitute and finished off the clinical display with Midleton's sixth close to full time.
That much coveted promotion edges ever closer.


League Cup at home to Carrigaline on Friday 24th February
Midleton 0 Carrigaline 3

Back in cup action again this week trying to grab a second round spot in this junior super cup, an excellent display was produced on the night from the magpies who introduced three U-19's to the team and it was one of these who dictated the game from start to finish and also grabbing himself a brace of goals young Jake Hegarty take a bow son, and it was also another U-19 ran him close for man of the match award James McCarthy with a dominating display at left back.
Midleton took a lead on 30th minute through Hegarty, they doubled there lead through Michael Deasy after great work from Stephen O'Brien to put him in on goal on the 60th minute, and man of the match Hegarty rounded of the spoils on the 80th minute to finish on a 3 nil victory to set up an away tie versus either Blarney or Passage.


Munster Junior Cup away to Fermoy on Saturday 18th February
Fermoy 4 Midleton 2

After a heart breaking exit last week, magpies had another tough game away in last 16 of mjc to Fermoy. Midleton started the game the sharpest and came close early through Damien Daly, minutes later Daly made no mistake crashing a header to the back of the net, Midleton kept the pressure on and could have doubled there lead through Barrett only for it to go agonisingly over the bar. But it was Fermoy grabbed the next goal against run of play crashing a superb shot into the top corner of Hegartys net. HT 1-1

Second half and Midleton quickly took the lead from across from Barrett a Micky Ryan coolly slotted home into the bottom corner. Again Fermoy equalised quickly after being awarded a penalty and the home side took the leads shortly after this again from another wonder strike from there centre foward giving Hegarty no chance again. Midleton could have equalised 10 min from time only for felt keeper producing a sublime save from a curling effort from Deehan. Fermoy ended up getting another goal on the break at the death after Midleton just seem to run out of steam at the end after a couple of tough months in cup action. Plenty left for this exciting side with a legue and league cup left to contend for.


FAI Junior Cup at home to Ballymun United on Sunday 12th February
Midleton 1 Ballymun United
A historic day arrived on Knockgriffin park on this sunny afternoon in February when Midleton juniors played there first ever game in the last 16 of FAI Junior cup, since the club turned senior.
A game that any player in the country relishes and this the midleton players did. The magpies were the fastest out of the blocks getting behind the Ballymun defence early on a couple of occasions and coming close through Micky Ryan only for Ballymun keeper to stop well. Midleton kept the pressure on and Barrett and Deasy up top for the magpies causing havoc at the back for the mun. It was this pressure and intensity midleton playing with lead to the opener and a great ball from Colman Coady into the channel for Barrett to slip it past the keeper and put the magpies a goal up and duly deserved. Midleton again playing the better football created another halv chance before the break but again the keeper was on hand to save again. HT 1-0

The second half begun just like the first Midleton taking the game to the visitors and looking the most likely to grab the next goal, and this looked more likely when Ballymun were reduced to 10 men after there fullback produced a late and rash challenge on midletons Dave Williams. This incident seem to spark the away side into action and Ballymun began to hav a good 5 minute spell but the magpies kept them to all long range efforts, but it was on the 65th minute of the game that the referree made a huge call by awarding the visitors a penalty. A major call because firstly challenge was outside the box and secondly the Midleton player got a foot to the ball. The referree was then called by the linesman for him to confirm challenge was outside the box but bizarrely the referee pointed for a free kick and then within seconds point to the spot again to the dismay of the home supporters. A bizarre incident by an FAI official which are suppose to be the best in the country at this level. Ballymun converted the penalty and drew the game level. This not dishearten the Midleton players who were having the game of there lives on the biggest moment of there lives. Master performances from Hegarty, Mallon, Williams, Deehan, McCarthy, Barrett. The game started to now get very edgy with neither team wanting to make that dreaded mistake but it was the visitors who kept the ball better at this stage, but again no attacking threat really. Full time arrived and into extra time we went.

It was the magpies again who started the brightest and took hold of the game again,and should hav taking the lead but only for Ballymun defender to retreat to the line after Barrett lobbed the keeer from 25yrds, Midleton were on the up here again and Deehan was pulling the strings for Midleton again, but it was Colman Coady with at jumping drive from edge of the box again nearly gave Midleton the lead again only for Ballymun defender blocking on the line. This looked like it wasn't goin to be Midleton's day.

2nd half of extra time started and both teams now seemed out on their feet from this titanic thussle, but it was Midleton's Stephen O'Brien gave Ballymun one last fright when he went on a driving run down the touch line only to nutmeg one centre half and run for goal but it wasn't to be after a Ballymun defender got across to make a world class last ditch tackle, this defender seemed to be everywhere.

So the dreaded lottery of penalties arrived after both teams shook hands acknowledging each other with respect from a thoroughly inspiring heartfelt game by both teams, both managers proud of endeavour shown by there squads. Penalties it went and Ballymun came out victors after a 3-2 win.
Unlucky to Midleton after a superb voyage in this cup, I think after this taste of it they will look foward to next year again, but what must be said is best of luck to Ballymun in the next round who were very gracious in victory and behaved in a manor that every team and supporters should be proud off.

Munster Junior Cup at home to Pike Rovers B on Saturday 4th February
Midleton 3 Pike Rovers B 2

Midleton returned to cup action again this week in the Munster Junior Cup versus Pike Rovers B trying to book a place in the last 16 of the competition. Midleton started brightly coming close with a chance from Micky Ryan to blaze over from 20 yards. Shortly after Pike Rovers were awarded a very soft penalty, which they converted to go 1 up. A dubious decision to say the least. Midleton stuck to there guns and again came close from Michael Deasy. On the 45th minute the game changed with Pike Rovers being reduced to 10 men after one of their players lashed out at a Midleton player, straight red from the referee.

Second half begun and it was the 10 men of visitors who grabbed the next goal, catching the Midleton defence napping and shooting low under the Midleton keeper. Midleton new it was make or break from this moment on, the magpies kept the pressure on but still couldn't register anything on the scoreboard, coming very close through Barrett and Deasy. It was a change of formation and personal that got Midleton back in the game, in came Stephen O'Brien, Damien Daly, Peter Horgan. But it was O'Brien who supplied a superb cross for Duncan McCarthy to drive home on the 80 minute, to give the magpies a lifeline, Midleton should have drawn level quickly afterwards only for Micheal Deasy to shoot wide from a tight angle, but it was Deasy who redeemed himself on the 90th minute from the penalty spot, calmly slotting home for the magpies after the visitors were reduced to nine players after some crazy challenges.

Extra time we went and Midleton continued the pressure with Daly, Barrett, Coady looking lively. it took 5 min to go in extra time for Midleton to grab there place in the last 16 with a great strike from Barrett only for the keeper to spill to the incoming Damien Daly to tap home from short range and send the magpies through...and more importantly silence them very noisy & abusive travelling fans.
Well done to all who kept there discipline and dignity on what was a very tough night for referee's and players on a very heavy pitch. Onwards this team go for another last 16 clash with Fermoy.


League at home to Passage on Friday 27th January
Midleton 4 Passage 0

Midleton returned to league action this weekend in a must win game against Passage. Midleton who after falling four games behind in the league calendar due to there cup exploits needed to wrap up 3pts this weekend to keep them in touch with league leaders Bandon.
Midleton made no mistake about doing this and sealed a very impressive 4- 0 win against a decent Passage side. Johnny Barrett put the home side two up before half time with a superb brace.

Midleton started very brightly again in the second half with Duncan McCarthy driving the team on from central midfield, but it was Barrett again who put the home side further ahead with a sublime chip over the Passage keeper to grab his hatrick. Midleton kept the pressure on and with unselfish running of Micheal Deasy off the ball causing Passage problems in defence. Midleton always looked like going further ahead and this they did with 10min left on the watch a good strike from Michael Ryan led to the simplest of finishes for Damien Daly to seal a very good home win.

Next up for Midleton is the last 32 of Munster Junior cup next Saturday night at 7 pm versus Pike Rovers B, another momentous cup date for the club!!


Munster Junior Cup at home to Bantry Bay Rovers on Sunday 22nd January
Midleton 3 Bantry Bay Rovers 2

Midleton dominated this game from start to finish but gave away two criminal goals to give themselves a uphill battle. Michael Deasy popped up with two goals one from the spot and one powering header to get the team back level.
Derek Deehan supplied the other with a superb curling effort from the edge of the box into the top corner, victory sends Miidleton into the last 32 of the competition versus Pike Rovers B at home.


FAI Junior Cup at home to Crettyyard United (Carlow) on Saturday 7th January
Midleton 1 Crettyyard United 1
Cup fever returned to Midleton on sat night for the last 64 of FAI junior cup. It's nearly 10 years since the juniors has reached this stage of the competition and this ambitious team wasn't going to leave this be the last stop in this cup.

First of all a kind thanks to Sean and John buckley for their kind sponsorship of this cup tie, which is muchly appreciated by the club and team, which always helps a club.

Preparation for this cup tie was tough for Midleton management who lost three key players during the week on the lead up to the game due to injury and illness.

This game didn't start like the homeside would like or expect. It was the away team that started like a house on fire hitting the bar inside the first minute and taking the lead inside 5min with a carbon copy of their first effort hitting the the bar but this time with a bit of luck for them rebounded back off the Midleton goalkeeper and agonisingly role over the line. Midleton were shell shocked and continued to be dominated by the away side, who were much more physical and sharper on the ball. Crettyard could have doubled their lead only for a superb Derek Deehan clearance off the line. Midleton again added to there downfall by being sloppy in possession of the ball and nearly gifted them a second goal only for there striker to miss a sitter and head over being nearly on the line.

This seemed to spark Midleton into the game after a very unlike performance so far, one would put it down to nerves maybe. Lucky not to be 3 down after 20min, Midleton grabbed hold of the game and were unlucky not to draw level from a Deehan corner only for T. Houlihan to blaze over from 10yards. On 30 min Midleton had a big penalty cry turned down after the dangerous Barrett burst through the Crettyard defence only to be dragged down in the box. All eyes were on the referee, no penalty was the decision. Again Midleton created the next chance from another set piece from Deehan only for J. Mallon to head narrowly over. Midleton were now well and truly in this cup tie, but it was Crettyard who nearly nicked another before half time catching the magpies on the break and there centre foward clipped a lovely lob over the Midleton keeper but luckily for the magpies it landed on the roof of the net.

The second half began like the first half finished, with Midleton now in full control off the game. The magpies continued to be patient but were struggling to break down a stubborn Carlow defence. It was a tactical change that worked in there favour. They introduced James McCarthy into the fray for the injured Coleman Coady, so Derek Deehan moved to midfield for the magpies and set the game alight in true captain fantastic style, he on every occasion picked the right pass to open that stubborn Cretty defence, Barrett was starting to also have a big influence on the game, pulling defenders into areas they didn't want to go, and with the work horse performance of Duncan McCarthy by his side it was superb to watch. But it took another sustitute to really give Midleton the edge that they needed, in comes Stephen "sob" O'Brien to cause havoc to Crettyard defence, his unselfish running and constant persuit of the ball lead to Midleton's equaliser from a corner won from a ball some centre foward's would have given up on but not O'Brien. Tommy O'Leary took a short corner to Barrett who jinxed inside 1 defender and stood a fantastic ball up on the back post for the incoming John Mallon to crash home into the back of the net on 80min. The next 10 mins seem to steady out with nothing between the teams again with every player not wanting to loose the ball to conceed a heartbreaking goal. The full time whistle came and into extra time they went.

Extra time seem to give Crettyard a lift may be due to a Midleton team now seeing the effects of not playing in 6weeks, Crettyard created two very good chances again in the first 5min, but Midleton held tough. The magpies now though found a litlle bit extra at the end of the tank, and picked up the pace of the game agai, the dynamic Dave Williams was superb again a rightfull, Micky Ryan was putting in a Demba Ba type performance in the air winning a huge percentage against the odds, which lead to a Johnny Barrett chance only for it to flash past the post at the death.
But it was the leader on the day Deehan who got the magpies over the line, exactly what captains are for, he calmed the team down, encouraged when was needed and always made the right decision, even went into centre back for the second half of extra time to sure up a very tired defence suffering from cramp. But it was his confidence that our younger players revelled being involved with, the final whistle arrived with a big round of applause to both teams, who battled like dogs in front of a very strong home support.

So the dreaded lottery of penalties arrived and Midleton struck there first 4 penalties with success and up stepped Duncan Mc to win the tie, only for a superb save from the goalkeeper to deny him, so sudden death arrived and Crettyard struck the bar, so the responsibility landed on the shoulders of Stephen O'Brien to send the magpies into the last 32, and this he did calmly to show great nerve and bottle.



Munster Junior Cup away to Ringmahon Rangers on Saturday 17th December
Ringmahon Rangers 0 Midleton 3

On a day were Midleton were presented with there team of the month award for October and after reaching the open draw of the FAI cup, Midleton's attention turned to the Munster junior cup with a chance of reaching another open draw with a away fixture with Ringmahon.
With the game 50/50 to be played due to weather conditions, referee M Barry gave the go ahead for the tie to be played. With Midleton missing some personal today due to illness it gave other players a opportunity to stake a claim for a position on this competive squad. To be honest this game was not a great cup tie, quality was not important today to Midleton management due to a very soft pitch and bumpy conditions quote " we just want the result, and move on to the next game ". Midleton started the game sluggishly looking like a team without a game in two weeks, you would think this would give Ringmahon the edge but no it didn't with them also starting very sloppy...it took until at least the 25min for any real quality to be produced during the game and it came from Midleton with Duncan McCarthy producing a fine cross for M Ryan who could't find the back of the net from close range. Again Midleton came close from a through ball from Colman Coady sent Johnny Barrett away but he also failed to beat the keeper. Midleton kept applying the pressure and started to settle into this game nicely, and with there back four of D Williams, D Deehan,G O'Neill, D Connaughton all rock solid from the start it gave Midleton a good base to open the scoring ,and this they did on 35min with Dave Williams hacked down at the edge of the box after a jinxing run, to be awarded a spotter. Up stepped Michael Deasy to send the keeper the wrong way to give Midleton the lead. No more chances came before half time.0-1 at interval

Second half began and after a few choice words by Midleton management at half time Midleton picked up the pace of the game another notch and should have doubled the lead on 55min but M Ryan missed a sitter from 10yrds with a open goal to his liking. Johnny Barrett was also the victim of missing a glorious chance on 60 min, but he redeemed himself minutes later with a finely taken goal after beating the Mahon keeper to shoot to a empty. A really deserved second goal from Midleton. Ringmahon finally rallied a bit as Midleton took the foot off the pedal, but again the back four were ruthless in there defending and gave nothing way. On 75 min it was game over with Micky Ryan latching on to a arrow of a ball from keeper Gavin Hegarty (with his first assist of the season) and beat two defenders before bending a sublime ball around the keeper to give Midleton a three goal lead and realistically put the tie to a end. Midleton had a couple of half chances in the closing moments but no more goals to finish with a three nil win.

Next up in this Munster Junior cup is a 4th round tie at home to Bantry Bay Rovers.


FAI Cup away to Tramore Athletic on Saturday 3rd December
Tramore Athletic 2 Midleton 4

Midleton travelled to Tramore knowing that a victory would secure a place in the open draw of our national cup and a chance to play against the top sides across the country. Midleton started this game like house on fire taking the lead inside the first 10 min with a great header from M Deasy after J Barrett supplied him with a sublime cross. Midleton doubled there lead soon after and it came direct from a corner from J Barrett where the Tramore keeper was deceived by the bend and flight of the ball and couldn't stop it from finding the top corner of the net. This was a wake up call for Tramore and they soon started to put some big pressure on the Midleton back four, who were kept very busy until the interval. 0-2 half time.

Second half began as the first half ended with Tramore applying the pressure, and with conditions very poor it wasn't a day for passing game, and this suited Tramore who made a couple of substitutions and made it very difficult for Midleton, long and direct balls from Tramore paid dividend for them, quickly getting a goal back. Midleton again picked it up going close on a couple of occasions, but it was Tramore who nicked the next goal to draw level. Midleton again passed and probed put conditions were not helping, but it was Barrett who nearly give Midleton the lead only for Tramore keeper to make a great stop. With the game entering the last quarter and the game in the balance...it was Midleton most expierenced player Michael Deasy to step up to the mark and produce a superb individual solo effort from the half way line beating 3 defenders before curling a magnificent shot into the top corner.a real contender for goal of the season. But the drama was not over yet, Tramore were given a lifeline after Midleton conceded a sloppy penalty .5mins on the clock a huge moment in the game who was going to be the hero, Midleton keeper or Tramore centre foward who suposedly never misses. The hero was Midleton goal keeper Gavin Hegarty not only for his penalty save but he also made a superb save from a cross from the rebound. After all this excitement Midleton rapped up the cup tie after M Deasy was taking down for a penalty, and he made no mistake in taking it himself low to the bottom corner of the net. A great cup tie in general and a fantastic achievement by Midleton to reach the open draw

Next up for Midleton is a trip to Carlow champions Crettyard united in the 5th round of FAI Scup.


Munster Junior Cup at home to Abtran on Saturday 22nd October
Midleton 9 Abtran 0
All in all it was a very easy run out for Midleton, who took the lead after 30secs and never really looked back from them. Safely through to the second round with a home draw versus Ringmahon.


FAI Cup away to Ballincollig on Saturday 15th October
Ballincollig 0 Midleton F.C. 5
The first step towards potential national cup success is taken at the Regional Park in Ballincollig.

Saturday afternoon saw Midleton overcome a decent Ballincollig side in the first round of the FAI cup. Weather and pitch conditions in Ballincollig served to hinder Midleton’s fluid passing game in the early exchanges and a scrappy opening to the encounter was the result. Unfortunately for Midleton, in form Jason Murphy also limped off with a knee injury not long into the game.
Neither side managed to create any real openings until late in the first half when the prolonged Midleton pressure began to pay dividends. Firstly, Duncan Mc Carthy had a decent low drive saved by the athletic Ballincollig goalkeeper. Soon afterwards, Mc Carthy was involved again when he cleverly dummied a low cross from Thomas O’ Leary only for Micky Ryan’s effort to curiously head skywards (talks of uneven ground and extremely long grass were rampant in the post match interviews). Finally, a defensive header from Cormac Ahern made it’s way back inside the Ballincollig half and the midfield pressing of Colman Cody and the rest of the Midleton midfield forced an error. The Ballincollig left full had to play an awkward ball to the goalkeeper that somehow ended up in the home side’s net. Midleton led by a goal at half time as a result.

The second half continued with severe Midleton pressure in all areas and the home side were forced to defend deep. It was only a matter of time before Midleton doubled their lead. Micky Ryan, giving the Ballincollig left full a torrid time, forced a foul at the edge of the area and Cormac Ahern brilliantly volleyed the resulting free kick from Derek Deehan. Goals from two penetrating runs in behind the back four followed midway through the second half when Micky Deasy and Johnny Barrett made it three and four respectively. Finally, an intricate passing move involving many of the Midleton outfit was the cause of the last goal that ended with a clever pass to Johnny Barrett and an accurate low shot to the bottom right hand corner.

At the end of the game Midleton had managed to maintain their superb defensive record with another clean sheet. Gavin Hegarty was flawless in goals. Furthermore, the central defensive partnership of Johnny Mallon and Graham O’ Neill was rock solid for the ninety minutes. It would be fair at this stage to say that an almost telepathic relationship appears to be developing between the two players. Like two peas in a pod.

Midleton play at home in the Munster Junior Cup this Saturday afternoon 22/10/11 .


League at home to Cobh Wanderers on Friday 7th October
Midleton F.C. 3 Cobh Wanderers 0

Midleton continue their blistering start to the season with another home win.
On Friday night last Midleton entertained local rivals Cobh in a top of the table clash at Knockgriffin Park. The last meeting between the two teams in the Barry Wall preseason tournament proved terribly one-sided and Midleton new they would face a stronger Cobh outfit this time around. Midleton were looking to extend their unbeaten home run and their lead at the league’s summit.

For most of the first half Midleton dominated possession but were careless in the final third. As a result, they never really threatened the Cobh goalkeeper. The best chance of the first twenty minutes fell to Duncan Mc Carthy. A great run by Johnny Barrett resulted in a fine cut back to Mc Carthy. He launched his shot towards the top corner only for Micky Deasy’s head to deflect it just wide. The keeper was clearly relieved.
Cobh were continuing to concede a number of set pieces due to the Midleton pressure throughout the first half. However, a string of well placed corners by Derek Deehan went uncontested and it all seemed a little too easy for the Cobh defence. Finally, about ten minutes from the end, Jason Murphy clinically finished off a Derek Deehan free kick with his head to put the home side ahead. A welcome 1-0 scoreline at the break was the result of Murphy’s goal.
It’s possible coach Olly Lynch had some choice words to say in the home dressing room at half time because Midleton seemed to start the second half much stronger. They maintained possession and began to stretch the visitors, with David Williams making some terrific bursts from the right full back position and delivering excellent crosses.

All the goals, however, came down the left hand side of the Midleton attack. Firstly, Thomas O’ Leary ended his 6 game (540 minutes) goal drought by dribbling forty yards and beating the keeper at the near post with a fantastic finish to make it 2-0. O’ Leary claimed after the game that he had been banging in the goals in training (18 so far this season) and that it was wonderful to finally transfer this form into a league match. A few minutes later, Stephen O’ Brien replaced O’ Leary and instantly made an impact. The deftest of long range chips by Derek Deehan played in O’ Brien who finished brilliantly from a similar angle to the previous goal to create a three goal gap and ensure all three points for the home team.
The match was kindly sponsored by Wallis’s Bar


League at home to Bandon on 30th September
Midleton 3 Bandon 0

Midleton played there 4th league game of the season home on Friday night against a free scoring Bandon side. After a pitch inspection during the day, after some very heavy rain, Midleton started the game in typical fashion taking the lead inside the first minute. It came from a poor clearance from a Midleton corner which broke to Colman Coady lurking at the edge of the box to smash home low into the bottom corner of the net from 20yrds. Midleton continued to press with this good early start, and came close to doubling there lead on numerous occasions with J Mallon, Cormac Ahern going very close with too great headers. Midleton did double there lead on the 30th minute with some excellent work once again from the evergreen Michael Deasy, to beat the offside trap and square a great ball for Barrett who just beat the Bandon keeper to the ball to bundle it over for a 2 goal lead. Soon after this Bandon were reduced to then men, after a very late and dangerous tackle on Jason Murphy ,produced a straight red. This incident seem to have knocked the life out of the game, with Bandon struggling to get any sort of possession and midleton were cruising. HT 2-0.

At half time Midleton started the second half with more urgency, demanded from the management at half time to go and finish the game and with the pace of the game up, Midleton really stretched the 10 men of Bandon, with some good link up play from, D Deehan, T O'Leary, M Ryan, it was only a matter of time before they got there third, it came some excellent pressure from Oisin lynch to win the ball for Midleton and deliver a great pass to Jason Murphy, who supplied Barret with a sublime through ball for him to round the keeper and roll the ball to a empty net. Midleton kept it goin to the 90min ,and could have added more with M Ryan, Jason Murphy goin close once more. The fulltime whistle came shortly for a relieved Bandon and the game finished 3-0. Shining performances on the night were J Murphy, J Mallon, D Deehan, Oisin lynch, J Barrett.


League at home to Ringmahon Rangers on 23rd September
Midleton 3 Ringmahon Rangers 1
Twenty minutes of scintillating football secures Midleton's position at the top of the league.

Midleton played their first home game under lights on Friday night in Knockgriffin to the delight of a sizable local crowd. All the pre-match banter was over whether or not vice-captain Cormac Ahern would pass a late fitness test. Unfortunately, the severity of his ankle injury sustained at training Tuesday night meant he couldn't make the squad. On the other hand, there was a welcome return for two other players. One of the veterans of the squad, Johnny's tendency to be a little lippy, Mallon made the starting eleven having served his controversial two match suspension for the dismissal in the cup match against Mayfield. In addition, young hopeful Oisin Lynch, who injured his foot in suspicious circumstances during the summer months, made his way back into the squad for the first time this season.

The game started at a ferocious pace as Midleton did their best to entertain the punters. From the outset there was a commitment by all the players to create goalmouth opportunities. All of Midleton's goals came within the first half hour from pressing high up in the Ringmahon half. Johnny Barrett grabbed the first after latching onto an excellent ball across the box from Jason Murphy. Soon afterwards, Micky Deasy pounced on another Johnny Barrett shot that had been saved by the Ringmahon goalkeeper to get Midleton's second. Finally, Midleton made it 3-0 when Jason Murphy got on the scoresheet himself. A wonderful ball into the corner towards Micky Deasy by Coleman Cody had Ringmahon in disarray. Deasy picked the ball up and managed to power past a number of defenders before squaring it . Murphy finished with confidence.

Similar to recent weeks, Midleton lapsed into cruise control towards the end of the first half. Ringmahon were afforded time on the ball as Midleton's midfield retreated further back on top of their defence. Just before half time, Ringmahon were given a lifeline when their left winger struck a ball from about thirty yards. The ball's flight was altered by a gust of wind and flew into the top right hand corner of Stuart Costigan's net. The teams headed for the break with the score at 3-1 to the home side.

The second half was a bit of a non-event with neither team managing to create many clear cut chances. Midleton did maintain most of the possession in the opposition half but unfortunately were hindered by a number of offsides and misplaced passes. Team captain Derek Deehan claimed the team could have played with a little more desire to keep the ball. We were searching for the killer pass, he remarked after the game. Despite the lack of fluency in the second half, the game finished 3-1 and all agreed it was a job well done.

Finally, the chairperson and vice-chairperson of the Midleton Junior team social committee, Oisin Lynch and Andy Howick, have also asked that the match sponsor Mc Carthy's bar be thanked for their sponsorship of the match and warm welcome after the game.


League away to Avondale United on Sunday 18th September
Avondale United 1 Midleton 2

Midleton were playing there second away game in as many weeks in very similar conditions, blustery and wet! Midleton began this game with confidence and good pressure. With the good pressure it led to some good early chances for the magpies with O'Leary, Barrett, Deasy going close. Midleton did break the deadlock on 15 min, when Cormac "mucky" Ahern took a great pass from Duncan McCarthy and jinx passed his marker and drove low to the bottom corner of the net for a deserved lead. Midleton kept this dominance going through the sheer work rate of Dave Williams and Stephen O'Brien on the right side of Midleton's team. Scrapping for everything gave Midleton a good base to start their attacks. Now with Midleton bossing the game in all areas, it was only a matter of time before the second arrived and on the 30min mark Micheal Deasy finished sublimely from a Derek Deehan corner. Again Midleton had more chances through O'Leary and Barrett but both denied by the Avondale keeper. On 40min a disaster for Midleton losing there influential centre half Thomas Houlihan through injury and while he was off the pitch Avondale equalised after a mix up in defence for Midleton to make it a undeserved 2-1 scoreline.

After a reshuffle for Midleton at halftime and the introduction of John Keane back from his term of absence. Midleton picked up the pace of the game again, with some very slick passing from Deehan, Graeme O'Neill and Keane, producing some fine chances for Barrett, O'Leary, McCarthy. Midleton also introduced Jason Murphy into the fray to add some fire power to finish the game off and he nearly did with a good volley at the back post. Midleton also had a dubious goal disallowed, a funny interpretation of the rules by the referree may I add. Avondale began a little spell on top now and made Midleton's agile keeper Gavin Hegarty pull off two excellent stops but again Midleton picked it up by keeping good possession and being patient with their moves. Deasy again with a half chance and also Barrett nearly bending one in to the top corner from 20yrds. With full time approaching Midleton had one last chance but Avondale keeper snuffed it out to end on a 2-1 victory for the magpies.


League away to St Mary's on Sunday 11th September
St. Mary’s 0 Midleton 3

Micky Deasy scored a hat-trick as Midleton produced a rampant display against St. Mary’s to head towards the top of the league.
Midleton travelled to St. Mary’s Park for their league opener on Sunday last. On a blustery morning, both teams made valiant efforts in the early exchanges to come to terms with the adverse weather conditions. The away team settled faster however, and it didn’t take long for Midleton to start threatening through Thomas O’ Leary and Johnny Barrett. After fifteen minutes, Midleton were ahead. Micky Deasy latched onto the second of two decent saves by the Mary’s keeper after a sequence of long-range efforts from Cormac Aherne.
The rest of the first half continued in a similar fashion, with Midleton keeping the Mary’s team pressed in their own half more often than not. Midleton captain Derek Deehan, signalling that there is hope for all footballers with ambitions to play well into their early 40s, gave a masterclass in link up play with his midfield. Mark Duggan also went agonisingly close just before half time when his strike from a headed knock down by Duncan Mc Carthy was tipped onto the post by Mary’s centre half.

A shaky start to the second half for Midleton resulted in a greater amount of possession for the home team. However, any advances towards the Midleton goal were confidently dealt with by the central defensive trio of Thomas Hoolahan, Graham O’ Neill and Stuart Costigan. Fifteen minutes into the second half, Midleton got a deserved second goal. Johnny Barrett broke down the right hand side, squared the ball for Micky Deasy, and he finished with aplomb.
With about twenty minutes left to play, the Midleton management team made a number of changes. Both Stephen O’ Brien and Jason Murphy were introduced to great effect on the flanks. A few minutes later, O’Brien was directly involved in Midleton’s third goal. Coleman Cody broke from midfield into the opposition box and delicately chipped the ball to the far post. Although O’ Brien rose to head it, he was bundled over before making contact resulting in a penalty for the away side. Micky Deasy seized the ball and struck effectively from the spot to grab his hat-trick. The game finished soon after, the away side leaving with a clean sheet, three goals, and all three points.

Midleton F.C. host Avondale Utd. at Knockgriffin Park on Sunday the 18th of September. Kick off at 10.45 am.


League Cup away to Mayfield
Mayfield 2 Midleton 1

The decider of group G, Mayfield needed a win to progress from this group, as Midleton had the better goal difference!! Midleton started this game like a house in fire, with there midfield of M.Ryan, D.McCarthy, M.Duggan, T.O'Leary rampant all over the pitch with pressure Mayfield couldn't deal with!! Midleton created opening after opening with Deasy and Barrett opening up the defence of Mayfield time and time again and sure it was Barrett who opened the scoring for the magpies, who smashed the ball home from 10yrds from a breaking ball, to give Midleton a deserved lead. Midleton continued the pressure and were unlucky not to double there lead from a great volley by Micky Ryan only for the Mayfield keeper to make a good stop. As the half grew old the magpies were unable to add to there lead, and went into the interval 1 goal to the good.

Again Midleton began the second half well, but began to suffer from a heavy swirling wind pick up, Mayfield supplied some heavy pressure with a wind advantage, with some very direct set-pieces, and not only drew level but took the lead on 65th min, so Midleton had to raise their game, and that they did with Barrett, Ryan and McCarthy with some good passing moves. Midleton kept pressing and probing but could not find the equaliser!! Overall a great performance from the magpies who were unlucky not to get the draw they needed against top flight opposition to progress Midleton to the q-finals!!
Next up for Midleton is the start of there league campaign!

League Cup home to CIT
Midleton 2 CIT 0

Midleton started there domestic campaign in the league cup in style with a very impressive home win against a gallant CIT!!
Midleton's Micky Deasy opened the scoring for Midleton on the 15min mark with a excellent volley from a set piece from Derek Deehan! Midleton continued there dominance and doubled there lead on 35th min with a wonder strike from Cormac Ahern from 25yrds into the top right hand corner!!

After half time Midleton continued there dominance in the game with Colman Coady and Ahern bossing the midfield, and the live wire of J Barrett and the expiernce of Micky Deasy up front caused problems for the CIT defence all day!! Chances flowed for the magpies but unfortunately couldn't add to the score line, but with a very solid display from the midleton bck four, the magpies never looked in danger of losing a grip on the game. All in all a good start to the season for Midleton.









Affialiated Leagues

Click on any of the links below to be directed to the websites of our affialiated leagues, where you can view league tables and more.

munsterSeniorLeague   corkschoolboys    cwssl

Make a Payment

If you wish to make a payment to Midleton FC you can use our new online payment system. Please be sure to leave a reference with your payment. Payments can be made for sponsorship, advertising, courses or other items

Make a Payment

Contact Us

To get in touch with the club see our contact details below. You can also visit the contact page to request a callback

Phone021 4631443
email moreinfo@midletonfc.com
web www.midletonfc.com

© 2020 Midleton Football Club
Website by aztecdesign.ie